Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Found something in its tank

roseg

Reaction score
I woke up today and I found that in my tank. Can anybody tell me what it is please?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 731
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 305

esn

Reaction score
I can't tell if it's a parasite or a badly digested work of some sort. What do you normally feed your axolotls, and how big is the little beast?

roseg

Reaction score
i am currently feeding him the food the pet store gave me. but im thinking about switching its food to something else. oh and he is a month old.

esn

Reaction score
Yes, but what is that food? Pellets? How long have you had the axolotls? Have you looked on the Caudata culture site for parasites?

I'm assuming pellets, and I'm guessing that's some sort of parasite that cleared one's system, but I can't really tell. Hopefully someone else with parasite experience can identify it.

You also didn't answer how big the thing is. When posting questions on the forum, it's advantageous and economical to give as much information as possible, and to answer questions fully. We can't help unless information is provided.

Reaction score
From the size of the paper plate in the pictures, I would say that the thing is at least an inch long, and the mouth parts on it look far too developed to be a larvae. Id say your axies have parasites (at least exposed to them), but I'm notoriously bad at identifying unknown invertebrates. Perhaps when more information is posted we can sort out what exactly it is.

~Anthony

roseg

Reaction score
the food is sometype of dried worms but i did not get the name of the food before i left. Also the parasite is about an half inch long.and I have had my axolotl for about a week.

esn

Reaction score
Did you notice any abnormalities attached to your axolotl? You said your axolotl isn't very large... That's a huge parasite to come out of a very young axolotl. It looks like it was an internal kind, and looks like it had some sort of film/ casing around it. Very interesting.

I'm afraid I can't give any advice on where to go, and if you need to treat for it or any remnant hangers on. Very sketchy for having just gotten the axolotl as well. I advise asking the store you got it from about parasites in their axolotls, if they'd know anything about it, while you're waiting for a reply. I think this thread needs someone with a lot more experience in tank invader and parasite IDs.

I'm also tempted to say that it looks like a badly digested mealworm. Do you know what your dried worms are and the full diet the pet store fed, or can you get the info by calling them? The axolotls would most likely get parasites from food, so I think this can be determined by a full briefing on diet.

roseg

Reaction score
Yeah the parasite came from the inside of him. At first i thought it was a prolapse from a prior thread i had posted on this site and i contacted the pet store i got it from and i am waiting to hear back from them. I dont see anything else wrong with him he seems very happy right now and is moving around alot faster now. I am still worried about his health because the parasite was quite large to come out of him.

Jen10s

Reaction score
Wondering whether it might be a Meal worm (chewed and possibly spat out)? I found a lot of pet stores in Aus don't really know what to feed Axies and they always recommend meal worms or pellets. Does the worm have a shell like body ? I've found some pics so you can compare to your specimen :happy:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 236

esn

Reaction score
I think the mealworm guess is still viable. That was my first notion, but I wasn't sure by the state the thing is in. That's why you need to know what was being fed by the pet store.

I've also been viewing the photo on my phone, so my view of it is not very reliable!

roseg

Reaction score
yeah whatever it is has a shell like body to it. i called the pet store several times and she cannot figure out what type of food her employees gave me

Jen10s

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not confident to identify it for sure - but if it is a mealworm, that would be OK, just throw it away. Hopefully someone much more experienced than me can help, let us know how it goes.

Meantime, I'd be getting some nice earthworms for your Axie to eat, I'm told they are really good for them. :D

roseg

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help all of yall are giving me. and thanks i will go buy him some later on today.

daedae

Reaction score
Looks like some type of beetle larva, a little grub. Kind of like a waxworm, there doesn't seem to be any chitin exoskeleton so I'm doubtful about a mealworm.

daedae

Reaction score
It does look like a wireworm that's been chomped on and spat out now that i look at it more :O Looks almost pink in the picture. Don't worry, they're not too dangerous but they should be avoided since their carapace is hard to digest and hard to pass, they are also a notoriously fatty food choice. Earthworms all the way :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1