Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Skinny axolotls, help?

dudzie

Reaction score
I mainly give feed my axolotls with frozen haddock and earthworms
sometimes they get frozen bloodworms aand pellets
and i handfeed them every other day
When they dont wanna eat more, i usually leave some food in there for about half an hour. sometimes it's gone and sometimes its still there [then i remove it].

but based on the 'belly should be as big as its head', they are all too skinny
should i feed them everyday until they get 'fatter', or should i find more fattening food?
oor maybe something else?

All advice is welcome :)

dudzie

Reaction score
btw, here are some pictures :)

Attachments

• IMG_6622.jpg
    IMG_6622.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 2,432
  • navnleysi.jpg
    navnleysi.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,603
  • hurd.jpg
    hurd.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 623

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I would try offering them the worms daily and drop the haddock. If you can find fresh water fish , this would be a much better option.

abbie1410

Reaction score
when i got my 2, one was skinny and also alot smaller than the other as he was always last in the queue for food. i found dropping a few pellets in the tank throughout the day whenever i went upstairs helped. it obviously depends if they will take them.

Tephra

Reaction score
Feeding several earthworms every day really helped put some weight on my skinny guys. Now they're looking fabulously healthy :D

Once they're on a correct weight, you can decrease the amount you give, how often you feed them. But if they're skinny, definitely feed them every day.

FX1C

Reaction score
I don't think frozen haddock is a suitable fish at all... Animals in the wild need a whole source of food not a fillet.
It's always best to feed a whole animal as they'll get the balance if eating the bones gut & flesh - not just flesh. Even if we don't find the thought of guts enticing - the animals will :)

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!