Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Strange mass in tank

KOsika

Reaction score
When I was feeding Steve this morning, I noticed something weird in his tank. I should have taken a picture but I didn't have time and the lighting wasn't great.

It almost looked like a grape. It was only maybe a half inch in diameter, was perfectly round, and was a pale tan in color. My thought process was to get it out of the tank and then photograph it in better lighting, but when I attempted to remove it, it popped and this thick yellowish gunk came out of it. By the time I got it all cleaned up, the skin of this... whatever it was.. had dissolved and I was left with a jar full of yellowy water.

Steve seems fine. He got all excited when I came up to the tank and was flicking his gills, and ate his food just fine. And I had just done a water change and put in a new filter cartridge so everything should be nice and clean still.

Any ideas what that might have been? It was really odd..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1