Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I think my Axolotl is hurt :(

Aj98

Reaction score
Hi! Im new to this site so sorry if this threat is awkward and unorganised.

Me and my Fiance have had 3 Axolotls for about 3 months (all siblings) and we've never really had any issues with them until recently. I believe they're about 6 months old now and they seem to be pretty aggressive to (what we think is) the girl one. (We think the other two are male) She hasn't really grown as quick as the others and she's recently been pretty shy when it comes to food whereas before she was the first to come and get it.

My partner noticed last night during feeding that the girl (snowflake) has a chunk taken out of her tail so I went to have a look and noticed that her legs seem really swollen and they're just kinda up in the air with what i think is fungus starting to grow on them and one of her hands. We've moved her into the sick tank (just a spare we have lying around that they used to be in) on her own so they can't hurt her while she's recovering. She's still eating and sometimes moving around and floating around with her tail underneath her. We also think they may have got a bite out of a bit of her gills on one side. She keeps moving them a lot this morning too. She seems pretty calm for the most part.

I was wondering if there's anything else we can do to help her heal or make her more comfortable? My partner is pretty worried she's going to die and I have pretty severe anxiety so I can't reassure him or really think under pressure.

I've attached some photos of her legs, tail and full body.

Thank you millions in advance!:(

By the way, the red by her tail is from the food i just gave her not blood or anything :)

Attachments

• axolotl back leg.jpg
    axolotl back leg.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 248
  • axalotl tail.jpg
    axalotl tail.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 204
  • axalotl full body legs.jpg
    axalotl full body legs.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 197

Eternie

Reaction score
For injuries just keep the water nice and cold, and they will regenerate themselves, she should be okay, just keep her separated for some time if they are targeting her :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1