Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Final stages for Axolotl tank

Brousecasey12

Reaction score
So I’ve been cycling my tank for about a month now and the water tested as follows:
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Water temp(current): 66.8 F
The exciting news is I get my Axolotl on Tuesday or Wednesday! It’ll be shipped out on the 21st! I hope that with another water change tomorrow or Friday, my water will be pristine! Now I have some questions:
Is sand necessary as a substrate?

I have a blue sand in there but I really dislike how it turned out as some sand is floating to the top and it just strikes me as dangerous even though it’s fine.

Can tile act as a substrate? And to follow that, is there certain tiles that work in water better such as ceramic, porcelain, etc.?

Could I make a second level for my Axolotl?

I mean this by making a shelf on the side with glass cylinders and glass. It would be a little section on the side.

Lastly, upon arrival, do I feed him/her right away?

Do Juveniles like certain foods better, such as salamander pellets or just the night crawlers ?

Please help me with feedback and answering the questions!
P.S. looking for name suggestions... really like the names Carl and Ella from Up, but would only do this if I got two. Also like Baymax and Ulysses!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
How big is the axolotl you're getting?
Sand is not necessary, just one of the options :) You can have barebottom, sand, tile, big rocks (much bigger than their head). Don't use sand if you are getting a small axolotl though, it can cause impaction in little ones the same way gravel can.
https://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Aquascape.shtml This link has lots of info, and shows which rocks are safe. Ceramics are fine to use, I have pots in my tank that are ceramic.
Absolutely you can make a second level! It increases the floor space, which you need more than height. I have a little shower shelf suctioned to the side of the tank that Bucky likes to hide in sometimes.
If it is being shipped to you put her into clean water then feed, before you put it in the tank. Juvies will generally eat what is in front of their face. I would personally use nightcrawlers cut up into bits no larger than the axie's head. You can use bloodworms, blackworms, or pellets as well. I use pellets in addition to worms for my adult axie. If you use pellets soak them until they are soft so easier to eat.
Naming them is one of my favourite things, I always follow a theme with my pets. I currently have Bucky Barnes and am on the lookout for a Steve Rogers haha. I love the name Ulysses!

Brousecasey12

Reaction score
Thanks for the great feedback! I will need to build my second floor ASAP before my Axolotl gets here! Good to know to place the Axolotl in a separate tub when feeding for the first time. Do I use water from my tank or cold purified drinking eater free from chlorine(like water I drink)?
If he’s a boy, I think it’s Ullyses but need a girl name !

Tye

Reaction score
I only worry that you're not all the way done with the cycle. You seem to be at the start of the cycle still, since you have ammonia and very low levels of nitrate.
Just keep an eye on the water when you do you get your new friend. Sometimes adding an animal can cause spikes too, so it's always good to just keep track of it. I'd test daily for the first few weeks to make sure.

I did single word names for my two, Bone and Charm. However I do give my fish "people" names because it's hilarious when people ask what my fish is called and I'm like "Oh that's Dave."

Hayleyy

Reaction score
With the tub put new dechlorinated water (not from the tank).
Tye made a good point. See what it's like after a water change and check it every day once your axie is in there. If needed you can always leave him/her in a tub until it is fully cycled.
If you want to stick with the Greek theme of Ulysses, maybe something like Artemis (my fave Greek god), Athena, Persephone, Medusa. So many options!

Brousecasey12

Reaction score
Update:
I have my tank finished now and am just waiting for my axolotl to arrive! It should’ve been here today so really hoping it arrives tomorrow! What’s the longest an axolotl has been shipped for and survived, bc I’m just scared it might not make it:(
Quick question: what should I feed my axie when it arrives? It’s a juvenile and should be about 4 inches long.
Here’s the update tank:

Attachments

• D11F99CA-0B9A-430B-9B1E-39423F69FA79.jpg
    D11F99CA-0B9A-430B-9B1E-39423F69FA79.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 161

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Looks great!! Love the piping and the shelf! I don't have any experience with shipping, so can't really comment on it. I would imagine 2 days is okay, just once you get it put it straight into the tub of new water. The water it is in is probably full of ammonia so you want him/her out of there asap.
Do you have any food ready at home? I would recommend either bloodworms or cut up night crawlers :)

Brousecasey12

Reaction score
Looks great!! Love the piping and the shelf! I don't have any experience with shipping, so can't really comment on it. I would imagine 2 days is okay, just once you get it put it straight into the tub of new water. The water it is in is probably full of ammonia so you want him/her out of there asap.
Do you have any food ready at home? I would recommend either bloodworms or cut up night crawlers :)

I might just add him/her right into the tank. Is that okay or does it have to go into a small tub? I don’t now if I have any small tubs that are not washed with soap already and last thing I want is for my axolotl to be suffocated in a soap bin.
Still a little concerned bc post office told me they get a shipment in at 5 and another one at 7... and my tracking number has yet to change :(
Wish me luck!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I haven't ever had an axolotl shipped so am not entirely familiar with what you do, but you do want to acclimate it before adding it into the tank. Put the bag into the tank (with the axolotl still in it) to get the temps the same. It should be fine to go straight into the tank as long as the temps are the same :)

Brousecasey12

Reaction score
I haven't ever had an axolotl shipped so am not entirely familiar with what you do, but you do want to acclimate it before adding it into the tank. Put the bag into the tank (with the axolotl still in it) to get the temps the same. It should be fine to go straight into the tank as long as the temps are the same :)

Yeah that’s what I planned to do. Float it for 15 minutes and then add it to the water. What’s the best removal technique? I don’t want to use a net because that could damage the gills but don’t want to use my hands B.C. it could harm the slime coat.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I always just use my hands, make sure they are sanitised. Use two hands so it doesn't wiggle around. Hold sturdy, but not tight. It's only for a few seconds so as long as you don't squeeze it shouldn't damage the coat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!