Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Could my female shanjing have eggs?

jbherpin

Reaction score
I have a female T. Shanjing, and she will occassionally show some "pudge"(like, once a year), and I was wondering if it is at all possible for a female to generate sterile eggs, and resorb them? I've never really offered a lot of water or aquatic plants(obviously) to her, so I never was able to see what would happen. I am hesitant as she just doesn't like to be wet period. Well...She does like to be misted at night, and she drinks by lowering her head and slightly opening her mouth. It's cool to see!

By the way, she is a "solo" inhabitant...not a male in sight!

-jbherpin-

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a female T. Shanjing, and she will occassionally show some "pudge"(like, once a year), and I was wondering if it is at all possible for a female to generate sterile eggs
Not sterile, infertile, and yes is the answer to the question. However it's a large step from carrying eggs to being receptive to breeding.

jbherpin

Reaction score
She has no male to take advantage of her condition anyway, but thank you for the response. I was hoping that she didn't have a problem or anything.
On a side note, Why was the spermatophore deposited on land in the pic of the month?
http://www.caudata.org/cc/photoofthemonth/PM0903.large.jpg

-jbherpin-

Last edited by a moderator:

jbherpin

Reaction score
Does the female choose an aquatic site to deposit eggs later?In any event, it was a great pic, and very interesting! Thanks John!

-jbherpin-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!