Question: Purple fluorescent protein

Hollystark

Reaction score
Country
United States
My friend talked to someone who works for a biotech company near us, who was selling axolotls that fluoresced purple (though not brightly). He called them NFP, which as best I can tell from googling just means novel fluorescent protein and refers to any fluorescent protein other than GFP.

My friend is very enthusiastic but isn't necessarily likely to think critically about what they are hearing and some of what they described just sounded sketch. I didn't talk to the guy directly. I could if it comes to it, though, they are in my city.

Anybody know anything?

News to me.... It doesn't really surprise me though. Perhaps someone else has heard about it?

Flouresent proteins are used as markers in biology, so there is constant research to develop new colors. A wider spectrum of colors opens up new applications in research. I found this chart of flourescent marker proteins available in 2004, and both deep blue and far red could potentially be considered purple.
In flourescent zebra fish, green, blue, purple, red, pink and orange are available commercially in the US. Google Glo-fish. It's not surprising at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,736
Cool, thank you! I also emailed the axolotl person at my university's bio lab and she just responded that, "Elly Tanaka has created a cherry fluorescent animal line. I worked with them in Germany and grafted Cherry onto GFP and vice versa."

So cool rather than sketch!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back