Red veins in gills

RCooper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently taken over looking after an axlotl who is around 4 years old and he's just started growing red veins in his gills. Is this normal?

Bec

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 429
Yes, it's normal. His gills don't look too good though, I suspect he has been exposed to bad water quality or was in with fish - do you know his history?

Thank you :) I think he was in water without a filter for a while, which I assume would account for his gill condition? How do I check the water and what does water in good condition for axlotls look like?

Bec

Invest in a liquid water test kit asap. For some reason I cannot paste the axolotl care sheet in the thread. Search the forum for the care sheet and do water changes until your tank is cycled (if not already cycled). I'd keep him in cool declhlorinated water in a small tub and do daily water changes until the tank is cycled.

I will do! Thank you so much for your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back