Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Green Water?

sully

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon split in 2 with a juvenile on both sides. i make sure i do frequent water changes and clean out any poop and left over food as soon as i notice it. i am taking my water to test it tomorrow but is there anything i can do that will make the water look cleaner? ( i plan to upgrade once my axies are a little bit bigger, they are on sand and the filter is a sponge filter) any input will be helpful!:confused:

BananaBearzz

Reaction score
I hear that charchoal filters make the water appear much cleaner! Some people aren't a fan... but the water looks cleaner! (in my opinion) I use a filter specified for Newts and turtles so the current isn't strong... Though there is a waterfall thing... so I take a fake plant or 2 and make the water just trickle rather than fall.
Let me know if this helps!
Banana :)

sully

Reaction score
I hear that charchoal filters make the water appear much cleaner! Some people aren't a fan... but the water looks cleaner! (in my opinion) I use a filter specified for Newts and turtles so the current isn't strong... Though there is a waterfall thing... so I take a fake plant or 2 and make the water just trickle rather than fall.
Let me know if this helps!
Banana :)

i am looking into getting one of the marineland penguin filters and i've read that, that on is good. but would you mind letting me know what filter you use?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
It could be an algae bloom, are there any green patches growing on the inside of the tank at all? Doing the water changes 2-3 times a week is good. What kind of food are you feeding them? And was the sand thoroughly rinsed before putting it in the tank?

Astrolotl

Banned
Reaction score
Charcoal/activated carbon filters are only good for removing chemicals from the water.
This sounds like an algal bloom. Try to limit the amount of light your tank gets by putting a towel over it, or increase the surface agitation with an air pump.
Also if you hav lotl juveniles small enough to be in a divided 10 I really don't think they should be on sand. They could become impacted.
You should also have your own test kit because the pet store typically uses crappy test strips. Your tank is cycled right?

sully

Reaction score
one is 5 inches and the other is almost 3, i know its small i just bought a bigger tank today and will start cycling it. the sand was cleaned very well i feed them blood worms and night crawlers and the odd pellets for the larger one. theres no algae and its not in direct sunlight. its more a greenish brown which is probably the outcome of my ****ty sponge filter.

Astrolotl

Banned
Reaction score
any light at all is enough to produce an algal bloom if the right nutrients are present in the water. Which I would assume is the case since you're keeping axolotls that big in a small tank. Your sponge filter is not the cause, most likely the cause is too large a bioload. I can only recommend more frequent water changes, probably daily. If that doesn't clear it up then it may be something else.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!