Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Big problems with tanks what do I do now.

axoltlmad123

Reaction score
HELP!!! I Am panicking so much. First of all I think something is wrong with my water I will test it tomorrow night after it has been 24 hours from the last water change. Well. What happened was I messed up my cycle I bought a new filter and just put it straight in as I didn't even have one. Now I don't know what to do. Harley isn't himself. He is gulping air and then he will struggle to get back down blowing bubbles to let air out until he can get down.. he's lost his gills. Almost All his feathers and what he dies have are tiny. I think his Gill stalls have also shrunk. He eats but most of the time will spit the worms out. The only good thing I can say is his tail is growing back nicely. He has recently a been moved to a tub with no filter or anything so I have been doing daily 100 percent water changes. I don't want to recycle my tank because I will have to empty it soon for my bedroom to be decorated. What does everyone advise to do? I know I've let him down. :(

Attachments

• 20150607_235929.jpg
    20150607_235929.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 20150607_235429.jpg
    20150607_235429.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 110
  • 20150608_000303.jpg
    20150608_000303.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 120

Astrolotl

Banned
Reaction score
If you didn't have a filter there is no way your tank could have been cycled. I would blame his condition on that, not the new filter. Continue doing 100% water changes and perhaps give him a tea bath.
Move the tank and let it cycle while your room is being decorated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1