New to axolotls

LaurenDragon

Reaction score
Country
United States
ISo, I got my 5-6 inch axolotls yesterday and fed them about 3/4 of a Canadian nightcrawler (cut up into smaller pieces) last night. This morning, I found pieces of nightcrawlers mixed with debris in each of their containers. Did they poop it out like that? OR did they throw it up. The breeder had been feeding them bloodworms... Maybe this was too much of a change for them? Any advice to ease my new axie mom nerves would be appreciated.

most likely they puked it up. being fed too much too fast will make a lotl puke. I think you should ease them into the nightcrawler pieces by feeding them a mix of both, but don't over feed them. Lotls don't get "full" and often will not refuse food when they have no more room, leading to puking.

Totally depends on the consistency of the nightcrawler 'remains'. Did it look digested? Try cutting the pieces into smaller pellet sized chunks to make it easier to swallow and digest. Try just half a fairly small nightcrawler per Axolotl each day until they are used to the food change.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back