Question: Pet shop issues..?

laulen

Reaction score
Country
United States
A friend from high school told me that they got an axolotl the other day. After talking about mine, though, I found out that they had no idea even what temperature to keep the axis at. They had pebbles in their tank, they weren't priming their water and they had a big cling on high flow filter in their small five gallon tank. They were planning on getting a tropical fish to put in with the axolotl. Even worse than all of this was the lady at the pet shop helped him get all of this for the axie... She told him that "Mexican salamanders are just expensive goldfish".

I understand that the owner is responsible for the research, and I'm teaching him about how to care for an axie. My problem is the person selling the axolotl had no idea what she was selling, and it worries me for how she takes care of them herself. Axies are nothing like gold fish, and if she's telling people this just to make a sale, there is going to be a lot of neglected axolotls down here.

Is there anything I can do? Or should I just go down there and talk to her myself? I just wanted others opinions.

Make sure that you tell him. Even if he doesn't listen, he will know what he's doing is wrong

The shop keeper or my friend? I'm teaching my friend how to take care of them. :p My problem is the shop keeper.

The shopkeeper. He will know keeping axolotls like that is wrong if you tell him, and if he keeps doing that he will no longer be blissfully ignorant

Pet stores are generally ignorant, or if they aren't, they are just trying to make a sale. They want to sell you something "easy" so they lie about the required care of the animal. I ordered a leucistic lotl from a pet store and sent someone else to pick it up. When they gave it to me, it was pretty clearly a golden albino. They were supposed to be a pet store dedicated to exotics too.
There's nothing you can really do except not buy from pet stores and encourage others to do the same.

I had a similar issue I posted about here.

In my opinion, an axolotl is a lot like a fish as far as care... But most people just don't know how to care for fish!

Someone suggested I give the store keepers a care sheet. I'm going to reference this site, and maybe you could do that too.

They might just be getting bad information from someone, so don't assume they have bad intentions.

The storekeepers in my situation were knowledgeable about their animals and were involved in rescue so they cared... They just didn't know about axolotls.

Educating people is generally a good thing, so I wouldn't mind too much if the store keeper is offended. You can just not go to that store ever again! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back