Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fenbenzadole as hydra killer

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
:D

Good question. If I had the cajones to test it on some of my precious larvae, I would try the fenben, but...

I am still searching for an amphibian friendly method too, even though I am hydra free at the moment.

There appears to be some anecdotal evidence that Melafix wipes em out. I have had really good luck with it and various caudates in the past, but I am doubtful it kills anything but bacteria. I'll test this out after this weekend's fishing/herping/thankgodsthewinterhasended trip. If, that is, I happen to find some hydra in my bottom net scrapings.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I am compiling some interesting reading in this post related to this topic. I figure if enough of us brainstorm on this subject, we can come up with a solution eventually...;)

sunzi1.lib.hku.hk/hkjo/view/27/2700389.pdf
The Enemies and Diseases of Aquarium Fish by B.E. Sugars- suggests a "introduced predator" technique

http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleArticle.pdf
Eradicating Hydra and Other Pests with Flubendazole
From: Journal of the American Killifish Association September/October 2003
Vol.36, No. 5
By Charles Harrison, Ph.D.

http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/v31je02.htm
FLUBENDAZOLE

First draft prepared by
Dr Radovan Fuchs
Institute for Medical Research and Occupational Health
University of Zagreb, Croatia

http://www.northern.edu/natsource/INVERT1/Hydra1.htm
Written by:
Dr. Jonathan Wright, Department of Biology Northern State University, Aberdeen, SD. 1997.
Reviewed by:
Nels H. Troelstrup, Jr., Ph.D., South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD 57007.
Publication of the Hydra fact sheet was funded by the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks, Division of Wildlife, Pierre, SD.

:blob:http://www.aka.org/ark/Scheel/Scheel5.pdf
Hydra destruction by pH adjustment..

http://www.arizonaexoticanimalhospital.com/Care-Sheets.asp?id=179
Article by an Arizona Vet that mentions adverse health effects on frogs from Panacur

http://www2.vf.uni-lj.si/veterina/zbornik/SlovVetRes_43_(2)_pp85-96.pdf
VETERINARY PARASITICIDES – ARE THEY POSING AN
ENVIRONMENTAL RISK?
Lucija Kolar *, Nevenka Kožuh Eržen
Institute of Physiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Veterinary Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Gerbičeva 60, Ljubljana, Slovenia

The pH adjustment method looks promising, however I am not knowledgeable on pH tolerances of most caudates (yet)

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
It also appears something called praziquantel has been used with success. Appears to have numerous trade names for both veterinary and human use...any one know anything about this one?

I have found it in an OTC for for aquariums here in the states, but dosing information appears to be anecdotal. I have sent off e-mails to all three manufactures to see what their "official" statement is. I have high hopes here, as Hikari is one of the suppliers and they seem to be very reputabale.

Fishfur

Reaction score
I know this post is old, but having run into a major hydra infestation myself, it popped up on a search I did. Just tried some Fenben today, guess I'll see how it works.

Meantime, I learned there is at least one drug free way to kill hydra, though it only works if the livestock can be removed for a few hours time. If that's possible, using water heated to 104 to 110 F for a couple of hours kills them all stone dead. My infestation came on a new plant, and when I realized how many there were ( green ones, they look a lot like bits of algae from a distance), I pulled the plants out and treated it in hot water. Worked very, very well, no trace of the hundreds of hydra remained afterward. They were a few different Aponogetons, including Madagascar lace.

Since I could not find a heater that would raise the temp that high, I put the plants in a bowl and started with water at 110F, and wrapped the bowl in a towel to retain the heat. I tested the temp periodically, and when it dropped below 104, I topped it up with more hotter water to bring it back up, no higher than 110 F. After a couple of hours, let it cool off to room temp and no trace of hydra.

This could be done for a tank, with plants, decor, etc. provided the livestock could be removed for the time necessary. I think I'd take the filter media out too, just in case it's too warm for the beneficial bacteria to tolerate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1