Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Weird tiger?

E

elisheba

38474.jpg

This guy was housed with a tiger at a rescue i recently visited. looks sort of like a leucistic tiger, but see the black spots on the tail? never seen anything like it, but i don't have too much experience.
any ideas?

J

jeff

I've never seen anything like this... All I know is that guy is AWESOME!

K

kim

That looks very similar to a moprhed leucistic axolotl
happy.gif
Go get it if you have the room :D

E

elisheba

even with the spots? i've never seen a morphed axo, but i've never seen a non-morphed axo with spots like that.

-e

K

kim

Leucistic's still have some pigment... mine has dark spots over her face.. There has also been piebald ones. I think Clare griffins college may have one with several large dark coloured patches over it head.. And Andy Baker has a morphed axie... even tho its a wildtype in colour.. its features are similar... take a look

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/30111.html?

M

mark

I don't know, the eyes and mouth kind of look like a tiger though too...although those spots on the tail are very strange. Do you think we should rule out it being a tiger?
Maybe the size would help us determine which it is. Don't axolotls morph at large adult size (in the rare cases that they morph)? I don't know too much about this, I just thought I had heard that.
Any chance you can get any more pictures?

A

andy

Hi guys, my axie grew as normal for a few months, got to 5/6 inches and then morphed.
I'm not sure about this guy, it does look alot like mine but as Mark said, i wouldn't rule out it being a tiger

N

nathan

it has the gold ring in its eye would this mean that it can't be a leucistic

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1