Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eastern and Barred Tigers

M

mark

Has anyone owned both eastern and barred tigers? I know that now they are considered a different species. I have a pair of each, and they are extremely different in their habits.

The easterns are shy and stay under rock caves a lot of the time, or stay buried in the soil. They always show some interest if I wiggle a finger in front of them, and are quick to eat; worms, crickets, etc. However, they are slow and not all that active - basically what I expect from salamanders. They behave much the same as spotted salamanders that I had a few years back.

The barred tigers on the other hand were a big surprise to me. I have had them for a couple months now, and they are quite active. They will spot me from across the room, and will jump at anything they see, even if it is just me lifting the lid or spraying in some water. They also dont seem to mind being out in the open. I have these 2 in a 45-gallon tank with a lot of caves and other hiding spots, and a few inches of soil; but they are out and about a lot of the time, even if it the light is on. Ive never once seen them try to burrow, which is good for me; I get to see them more. When they spot food, they spring forward VERY quickly (unlike any salamanders I have ever seen), sometimes a few inches, and even hit their heads on the glass. (sometimes it is loud and I get worried about them; they dont seem to care).

My original plan was to combine all 4 into one tank, but the behaviour differences are fairly extreme, and disappointingly, I probably should keep them separate. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else could share info about their experiences with how their tiger species behave, or any related info. Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!