Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Something on head?

Shadow

Reaction score
Found it on her in the morning. I don't understand what it is, because I am aware that parameters and everything is ok, it is possible she has just had a nasty bump on the head? To me it just looks like a slight bruise but can't tell if anything has been cut.

These were the best shots I could get of it.

DSC00709.jpg

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00716.jpg

Thanks.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
In my amateur opinion it looks like she might have bumped herself (perhaps on the entrance to the cave behind her?) Sometimes axolotls can get 'spooked' by sudden movement or light and swim off in a panic, perhaps this is what she has done. Just check that there are no sharp edges on her hides and obviously continue being vigilant with water quality and keep an eye on the spot in case any fungus starts at the injury site.
That's all I can think of, it doesn't look too serious to me, hopefully someone else will jump in if they have any other theories or advice. Take care, Kerry.

Last edited:

ferret_corner

Reaction score
It looks like a bruise. You should do a search here in this forum for bruise, cut or scrape and see what other people have gone through.

I found quite a lot when I searched for "bruise".

Sharon

optimist

Reaction score
Hi. I think it looks like a bruise too. Is she still eating? Those plastic caves can be sharp inside (if it is plastic) I had to spend ages filing mine smooth.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Shadow,

I concur with the others, it looks like a bruise.

She may have scraped her nose on that sharp edge on the cave opening's top left, from the front shot (second picture) that edge looks particuarly jagged.

Axies have very sensitive skin, and unfortunately are not the most elegant swimmers and will often crash into things if travelling at speed which can damage them easily.

The bruise should heal well if the water quality is good and the tank temperature is within the axolotl's desired range - the cooler the better.

As Kerry has advised, keep an eye on the bruise as fungus tends to attack vulnerable spots such as injuries.

If the bruise starts to look worse, I would move axolotl to the fridge.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1