Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated Fire Bellied Toad

jandd

Reaction score
Hi There,
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I've had 4 fire bellied toads for over 2 years now and they have all been fine. However a week and half ago I noticed one of my toads had bloated up, the next morning he had bloated even more and died, he had what I can imagine was his guts in his mouth. Then about 5 days ago I noticed another one of my toads had what looked like a lump under his lower jaw, after what had happened to my other toad I have isolated this one in a separate container, each day he is also bloating up more and more and feel the rest of my toads are going the same way. Can anyone relate to this or help??
Jo

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I´m sorry i can´t give you any precise help...bloat is a complex thing with many possible causes.
You might want to try this other forum:
Frog Forum
It´s a sister site of this one, but dedicated to anurans, so you´d probably get better help there.

jandd

Reaction score
Thanks, poor toad has started to bleed from a spot from his back. I'll try the frog forum for advise.
Jo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1