Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: White, wriggling worms in fire salamander feces/water?

Kiyo

Reaction score
I went to do my daily water change/tank spot cleaning for my fire salamander when I noticed some very small white wriggling worms in the water dish. I had seen my fire salamander get in his water earlier in the morning, and there hadn't been any worms in there before he got in. He then got out of his water dish and left a feces pellet for me to pick up in his dirt substrate right outside his water dish. I couldn't get any pictures of the worms due to them being so tiny and our camera is lost... The were surrounded by some odd white cloudy substance, and they were all tangled together. He's acting fine, looks healthy, doing what he normally does.

He's fed crickets with calcium dust, I clean everyday. I just changed his coco fiber substrate a little while ago. If you need more info just ask.

Are they parasites or something I shouldn't be worried about?

Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's really impossible to say. It's likely that they are non-parasitic worms that came out of the soil. However, the only way to know for sure would be to obtain a clean fecal specimen (pooped on paper towels, not on dirt) and take it to a vet for examination.

Kiyo

Reaction score
I hope that it's just from the soil, but I'll get in contact with my local herp vet. Hopefully it's nothing bad and my lovely little salamander can go back to his peaceful life.
Thank you for the response. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!