Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help - Filter Intake too strong?

Severance

Reaction score
Hello all! I recently purchased a filter for my lotl girl's tank. She doesn't seem too upset with it, but the filter intake keeps sucking her toward it. She tries to crawl away along the bottom of the tank, but doesn't get very far.

I'm concerned this will cause he stress in the future and was wondering what I can do?

I have a 30g tank, probably with about 25g of water in it (not filled all the way), and my filter is a submersible corner filter with 120gph cycling and a spray bar for reduced outflow.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Try putting some obstructions on the bottom of the tank to disrupt the flow towards the filter. Something heavy like a broken flower pot would provide a hiding place as well as disrupting the flow.

Severance

Reaction score
Thank you both for answering :) She is about 7-8inch now. I do have some plants obstructing the intake but I'm not sure if it just isn't doing much or if she is just lazy :tongue: (she's a floater lotl usually so she just kinda goes where the water goes).

I'm worried about blocking the intake too much in fear it'll make using the filter obsolete.

(Also I checked and my type of filter GPH is recommended for about 20g of water. I intentionally bought a weaker one hoping I wouldn't have this problem.)

Edit: She does have a cave and a branch alcove she can hide in if she wanted to which are mostly free from the water flow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1