Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sudden Floating

inukawaii

Reaction score
Tonight I found my filter had stopped and my axolotl was floating at the top of the tank unresponsive. I thought he was dead! When I went to pick him up he flapped his gils. I immediately removed him from the tank put in him a bucket of declorinated water.

A little bit of background. I've had Meelo for 3 years with minimal health issues (he jumped out of his old tank when he was a juvenile). He currently is housed in a 30 gallon tank. I did a water change earlier in the night, the water was room temperature and I used declorinater. I fed him after I cleaned the tank and he had no issues.

I think something happened with the filter when it stopped. Anyone have some suggestions on what to do? He's currently moving, kind of in shock.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Do you test your water for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate? It is important to follow the nitrogen cycle as this controls your Axolotls environment and health.

How do you monitor the temperature of your tank water?

Can you post some images of your tank and Axolotl?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!