Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New 20 Long Setup - Filter Suggestions?

Luke Vader

Reaction score
Hello!

We've had a our first Axolotl set up in a 10 gallon tank for nearly 2 months. Since then, we've bought another axie that is a bit smaller so we're keeping him in a separate, temporary tank and doing 100% water changes for him. We recently jumped on the sale that PetCo are doing with their $1 per gallon tank sale and now have a 20 Long tank that is waiting for us to set it up. I just don't know what type of filter I want to use for it.

I see in a lot of pictures, posts, and videos that people are using sponge filters and they come highly recommended because of their ease of use, low cost, and low water flow. This is the way I am leaning right now but I simply do not know what all I need to buy for this setup.

Can anyone walk me through everything I need for a sponge filter setup? We're still quite new to all of this and have next to zero experience with even a regular fish tank, so explain it like I'm 5 please.

And if you have any suggestions other than a sponge filter, feel free to fire away.

As a side note, we're currently using a Fluval 30 for the 10 gallon setup. It's a decent filter, I just don't like the water flow for it. I basically have it set to the absolute lowest setting possible and the weak water flow is a bit on the noisy side. Before this filter, we had a submersible filter (can't remember the name right away) and I dint like it at all because the water flow seemed to be way too much no matter how low I had it set and it seemed to raise the temperature too easily.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1