Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Possible infected tank and moving an axolotl..?

kumamon

Reaction score
Hello,

A couple of days ago my axolotl (two years old) very sadly passed away from an infection, which I cannot confirm what he was sick with - I did everything possible to save him. I think he might have had a fungus or damaged skin or something worse, but I couldn't figure it out.

My other axolotl (who is well and healthy) has been temporarily housed in a ten gallon tank, and was meant to move into the 35 gallon shared tank with my axolotl who died recently. While treating my axolotl I moved him into the fridge and completely tore down his tank - Cleaning everything and adding in new filter media (using some media from more other axies tank to help speed up the cycling), because I believe the tank was the issue and had something else living in there that led to my axies death :( I restarted the tank more than a week ago now.

I really need to move her into the biggest tank as soon as possible as she is way to big to thrive in this tank for much longer. I've check parameters and they are all perfect, but my main concern is, could there be any harmful bacteria living in this tank still? Even after cleaning it and restarting the cycle? There was a very small amount of water that I couldn't remove from the tank which makes me paranoid that the bad bacteria could be living in it still. Is there a life cycle I should wait to die off to make sure nothing can infect my axolotl if I move her? Or is everything fine and putting her in the tank will be completely okay...??

After my axolotls passing I really want to make sure that everything I do from now is perfect...

Sorry for being paranoid,
Chloe :eek:

kumamon

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving her sometime later today. I'm going to take out 30% of the 'new' tanks water and replace it with her old water as I'm going to do my weekly water changes tomorrow. Should I take out the sand and replace it with the sand from her tank? I did clean the sand but I don't know how I feel about reusing it... suggestions??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!