Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls in Arizona

itemple

Reaction score
I live around Phoenix, Arizona so temperatures get up into the hundreds. The house is always kept at 80, but I'm still worried about water temperature. Will a fan and water bottles be enough? Will I definitely have to invest in a chiller? Is it just entirely not worth it to have them in such a warm environment because it will always be a struggle?
My ball python's enclosure stays naturally between 75-80 on the cool side, which is perfect, but I'm just not sure how water will do.

Sanshouo

Reaction score
Hmm 80 degrees is pretty warm. I personally am not a fan of the ice bottle method because usually you end up just causing constant fluctuation in water temp which is more harmful than a steady warm temp. I don't have any experience with chillers personally

Genny

Reaction score
I agree with Sanshouo, with that high of a constant temperature the bottles would melt very quickly and you need to swap them out before they're completely thawed otherwise the temperature fluctuates too dramatically. Which only means you have to make sure you're around to do so. I use a fan board for aquariums with 4 fans on but the most it ever drops the temperature by is 3 degrees C or so (37.4) and at that kind of base temp you're still never going to have them at the temp they're most happy year round. I've never used a chiller, but if you're serious on keeping axi's it may be the best way to go. Maybe do some research into them?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :(

Savvy1985

Reaction score
Fellow AZ axol owner here. I had a heck of a time trying to regulate temps for my tank. It was driving me nuts, to be honest. My dad ended up getting me a chiller for my birthday about a month after I got Murray, and it was life changing. Haha. I would suggest investing in a chiller, even as cheap as you can get it.

Deeneylani

Reaction score
Hi I’m still trying to figure out how to use this site but stumbled upon this thread.. just wanted to see where in Arizona I might find an axie? Would you be able to help? I’ll be visiting sometime towards the end of the month.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!