Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl problems

HopelessMare

Reaction score
Hi Im Ray. So I've gotten my first axolotl 3-4..maybe 5 months ago and I've had very little problems till about a week ago. My Axo Nubi has been keep his back legs up as if hes pooping but this clear/cloudy stuff comes out. Like chucks. Ive tried looking around for people with the same problem. I thought he was just constipated so I frigded him. Ive just put back into his tank (20 gallon long, sand) now we wont eat ,its been a week and half now and Ive tried pellets ((aquatic newt food zoo med) worms (red wigglers, night crawls) his tank is usually 66°F hes about 5 inches long. He shows no sign of stress and hes active. I do weekly water changes (did one today) he does have a filter. Im really worried.

Reaction score
Re: Axololt problems

Hello Ray! I'm sorry about your axie! I'll try and help you out as best I can :) It seems like his problem could possibly be caused by parasites. I would recommend taking your axie to the vet and while he is there, see if they can force feed him since axolotls normaly can live two weeks without food. If you can't get him to the vet before the two week mark I can post a force feeding guide for you.

HopelessMare

Reaction score

I still have no idea how this site works so just bare with me hah. So you think parasites huh? I wouldn't of guessed since I haven't seen anything but I'll have to find a vet somewhere then! Would you happen to know what parasite it could be? A force feeding guild would be extremely helpful just in case, I have no idea how I'll force feed him if not. Thank you for your in put though!

Reaction score

I would say that's most likely it is an internal parasite. Flatworm and roundworm are the most common in axolotls that's I know of, both of which can be dealt with by adding vinigar or salt to your water. Although I would recommend checking with your vet to be sure it really is a parasite and not some other sickness before you treat your axolotl. Here is a force feeding guide for you in case you need it - https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70199

HopelessMare

Reaction score

Thank you so much for your help. Im so extremely worried, I think he might spiting up mucus but I have no idea wheres its coming from but I just hope that I can get him to a vet in time.

Attachments

• IMG_20180708_020704.jpg
    IMG_20180708_020704.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 296

HopelessMare

Reaction score
Yes! The problem was he found a hidden pebble in the sand which sometimes the sand has pebbles I usually take them out if I see any. He ate that pebble but passed it. Hes eating once again and having no troubles!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1