Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bacteria buildup tips?

secondriley

Reaction score
Does anyone have tips about bacteria buildup in tanks and the best way to get rid of it safely. Ive changed the water multiple times and cleaned the filter each time i replaced the water and im not sure what to do. I checked the amonia and it wasnt too high so i did a little bit of an amonia detox but no luck so far. Ive replaced the water fully again hoping itll work this time but if not any tips? Thank you :)

Hayleyy

Reaction score
It is a bacterial bloom? They can last from days to a couple of weeks, but small regular water changes should fix the problem. Avoid changing/cleaning the filter while it is cycling as it can restart the process. You also don't want to change 100% of the water as it will remove the good bacteria's food source. I do 20% weekly water changes, but to remove the bloom you could do something like 10% change every 3 days.
What ammonia detox did you use? Do you have an axolotl living in the tank?

secondriley

Reaction score
I have the microbe-life special blend, im hoping its not like a bad one and yeah my axies are in the tank as i dont have anywhere else for them at the moment. when i do the water changes i take them out but im just hoping itll disipate some soon. Thanks for the advice :)

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Okay I looked it up and it sounds like a beneficial bacteria bottle/dechlorinator so there shouldn't be any issues with it.
Keep an eye on the ammonia even using an ammonia lock, if you're observing it high you still want to do frequent water changes.
Hope the bloom clears up soon!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1