Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My dark axolotl has growing green patches and now rest of her skin is turning lighter

Sapphires

Reaction score
It doesnt seem furry but something is definitely going on and i cant find any solutions. Need any advice anyone has please, i dont want to loose my baby. Shes acting fine. No tail curling or obvious signs of distress

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Please post a picture. How big is it? It could just be normal pigment.

Sapphires

Reaction score
First the yellow spots appeared. Now they have spread and some small areas of whitish areas on him untill the other day his arm seems to be detaching itself. Hes eating and moving around his tank like normal. None of my other axys are ill atal. Water is healthy. Ive put him on antibiotics from the vets today by separating him into his own tank and putting it in his water and using pellet food as they soak up the water to get enough of the antibiotic into his system. Fingers crossed. Ive reared this one since egg stage

Attachments

• IMG_20190311_141254.jpg
    IMG_20190311_141254.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 1,784

Krispy

Reaction score
Tubbing him like you are is the best thing for him right now. But if the spots persist after a while and don't go away, please consider that your axolotl might have vitiligo. Extended treatment on antibiotics could become stressful if he is actually healthy. Axolotls can have vitiligo, and in fact, it is not uncommon. If it is vitiligo, it is not harmful to your axie's health. Just expect those spots to take up most of his body.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Tubbing is also probably a good idea to get that arm healed. Try and keep the water fairly cool to help. Did the vet give you antibiotics for this or for the patches? If it's for the arm you may not need to use them as it will heal on it's own.
Like Krispy said it could be like vitiligo. I don't think axies actually get vitiligo but the word is the best description as it is physically very similar. There's been a few over the last year on this site if you do a search for it. Are the patches on top of the skin or does it look to be part of the skin?

Sapphires

Reaction score
It appears to be part of the skin as its not raised abover the skin. After a week of separation i put him back in with his friends. Hes alot happier now hes back and florishing. His arm came off and its healing and looking healthy so it must just be a skin condition

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Update with photos in the next few months so we can see changes in the patches. If it is the same as the other posts I've seen it's super interesting to see it change!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!