Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red 'fingers', Bloated, floating and black head !!HELP!!

J

john

Hello! I'm a very new player in the axolotl game, and was wondering if any one could please help me? I've three axolotls in a rather large tank (about 3'x1'x2'). Recently, however, poor Chad has been unwell, rejecting food and floating. I initially thought it may be due to harrasment from the other axolotls in his tank, so I isolated him in a separate tank, and made sure the water level was low, so as to reduce stress. Since doing so, he regurgitated food, is still rejecting food and his some of his fingers and part of his knee have become blood red in colour. Is this just a phase, I feel uncomfortable about letting him back into the big tank, incase he infects the others, or is it fatal? Please let me know ASAP!

J

john

Ahh quick, It's spreading like wildfire! I just checked on him and he's hind leg is totally red and even under his head is starting to become red!

S

sarah

pop him into the fridge and cover him to protect him from the light. the cold water slows him down and gives u more time to treat him. the water must sit between 5 to 10 deg.
or pop him into a car fridge and put a frozen bottle of water with him, i do that and it works fine. u might have to change the bottle twice a day, so have a spare bottle for backup. purchase aquarium salt from the local petshop, add 1 teaspoon of it to his water and let him sit in it for 10 mins. then change his water. do it about twice a day. and purchase stress coat with aloe-vera as that takes out chlorine and helps with the axies skin.
my very first axie went red due to the rising temp of the tank, but u shouldnt have that problem cos its winter unless u have a heater in the tank.

J

john

Ahh, thankyou so much Sarah. I really wouldn't know what to do with out you! I'll put him in right away and let you know how it works out.

John
happy.gif

E

edward

Keep an eye on it as this can also be indicative of bacterial, fungal, protozoal infections.

Ed

S

sharn

my first thought was red-leg, it apparently happens quite quick. also maybe septicemia (not too up on that at all)

what colour is your axie?

J

john

The axie is white, he's been in the fridge for the last couple of days. I ended up taking him to the aquarium and they gave me the salt. I've been doing this twice a day, but not improving. He is very pale now, with red legs and still rejects food. Aquarium folk dont seem very optimistic. THe other two are fine, they exhibit no signs of being infected or diseased. Thanks for all your help

P

penny

I also have a very bloated axie,Kim. Need desperate help and advice NOW please. Not eating, not sure if it was gravel so took all the gravel out last night,and will get some sand. Also read that they do not like bubbles, they have a long air brick all along the back of their tank. I have had them for 6 months, and the bloating started last week. Also has white speckles all over, not sure if this is colouring or fungus. Also rubbed along back and neck, I think trying not to float up, but is not really buoyant.

Any advice would be wonderful

E

ester

Welcome to our site Penny,

Did you check out this page yet?
http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm

A request, please start a thread of your own in Sick Axie. That way help for your animal and help for John's won't get mixed up. Just copy what you posted here to a new message in a new thread.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1