Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stressed female??

Doomus

Reaction score
So I recently introduced two new p.waltl a male and female into my existing tank of five males...so now there's six males and the one female so now do I have to worry about her getting stressed out or anything from all the attention she's getting? there's constantly boys chasing her around and holding on to her sometimes two or three at a time shes quite larger than them all so when she wants to get away she can shake them off easy enough so should I take her out and keep her separate or just let them all do there thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dannyyyallenn

Reaction score
Does she ever nip at the males? Some quick nips can be normal, but if any of them begint o get more aggressive than normal it may be a problem. Having a higher ratio of males to female makes for a competitive environment that will eventually encourage breeding for the dominant male. If, however, you begin to see bite marks or some of the newts hanging out in seclusion out of the water, those are signs of stress. How large is your tank?

Doomus

Reaction score
So far there's no aggression between the males that I've seen and she doesn't nip at all that I've seen she'll just wiggle them off her and swim away and the tank is a 50 gallon long so there's plenty of space...the plan is too get one or two more females and split the group into a few smaller ones eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dannyyyallenn

Reaction score
Well, a 50 long is certainly big enough. If there isn't any aggression going on I'd say she's enjoying the popularity. Possibly with a hint of annoyance. Adding the other females will probably remove some of the attention from her, I can't see it going wrong either way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1