Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding??

Vanders

Reaction score
I would really like to give breeding my newts a go, I have everything I need ready to go, but getting them to do the act is a struggle! I have have tried reducing water levels, lowering temp, uping temp, increasing and decreasing light, all in different combinations. I am wondering where I am going wrong?? I have watched them lock up before so I know I have a male and female, but my female never looks like she is getting fat with eggs, and eggs have never been produced. I have done water tests and those are all good... they are currently eating salmon pellets, night crawlers, small snails, wax worms, and frozen blood worms.

Niels D

Reaction score
After you've seen them court it can take up to several weeks or months before the first eggs are layed. Patience is important. The best trigger I've experienced is a long winter cooling. The window is open during the winter in the newt room and it can get 10C en remains beneath 15C for a long period. If you're living in an area with mild winters you can keep them outside during this period.

Thiago

Reaction score
I am also in the same struggle.
My winter is very weak 18 ° C. I managed to thermally insulate the tank, and I kept the temperature at 15/16 ° C.
The female is very fat, I think that has a lot of eggs.

The male's crest is great. If I can not keep a cool temperature for a long temp, the, it seems that the crest decreases. But when falling the temperature again in a few days it regrows.
I believe that this is not ideal. I have strived to maintain a constant temperature.

I see much more active male to female, dancing from one side to the other.
But lately he has no interest in food. I hope it is normal behavior.

But not yet saw no court sign for female.

Vanders, I wish luck to us!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!