Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lethargic Juvenile?

Alicialotl

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m a beginner owner. I’ve had my ~2.5 inch axolotl for five days. She is usually very active, swimming laps. I changed some of her water this morning, which maybe spooked her a little. But she seemed fine after and ate lots of blood worms I gave her. But immediately after eating the bloodworms, instead of swimming around like usual, she’s just been floating near the surface, not moving much. It’s been a few hours and she is still acting very still. Only swimming for a little before resting for a long time. This is a 10 gallon tank with no filter and I change about half the water every day. I have not had any readings of ammonia higher than 0.25 before a water change. The temperature is 64. Is my little one okay?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Have you noticed if she has pooped? It could be a bit of constipation. Is the back half floating a bit more than the front?

Alicialotl

Reaction score
Have you noticed if she has pooped? It could be a bit of constipation. Is the back half floating a bit more than the front?

She’s had a few big poops since I’ve gotten her. None after that feeding yet but she doesn’t seem to be floating from her belly or anything. She became more active this afternoon and accepted food, so I’m hoping she’s fine!

Is it possible to overfeed an axolotl at this age? I’m having trouble knowing how much to give her and she always seems to accept more and more bloodworms.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about over feeding, especially young ones. Unless the body is significantly bigger than the head. Keep feeding until she refuses food, I think at a young age you can feed them multiple times a day as well. My girl will eat 2 big night crawlers (not even cut up) and still be keen for more food :rolleyes:

Alicialotl

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about over feeding, especially young ones. Unless the body is significantly bigger than the head. Keep feeding until she refuses food, I think at a young age you can feed them multiple times a day as well. My girl will eat 2 big night crawlers (not even cut up) and still be keen for more food :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info! It makes me feel more at ease. And she’s acting her usual self again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1