The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 11th August 2018   #1
Alicialotl

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Alicialotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lethargic Juvenile?

Hi everyone,

Im a beginner owner. Ive had my ~2.5 inch axolotl for five days. She is usually very active, swimming laps. I changed some of her water this morning, which maybe spooked her a little. But she seemed fine after and ate lots of blood worms I gave her. But immediately after eating the bloodworms, instead of swimming around like usual, shes just been floating near the surface, not moving much. Its been a few hours and she is still acting very still. Only swimming for a little before resting for a long time. This is a 10 gallon tank with no filter and I change about half the water every day. I have not had any readings of ammonia higher than 0.25 before a water change. The temperature is 64. Is my little one okay?

Alicialotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Lethargic Juvenile?

Have you noticed if she has pooped? It could be a bit of constipation. Is the back half floating a bit more than the front?

Old 12th August 2018   #3
Alicialotl

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayleyy View Post
Have you noticed if she has pooped? It could be a bit of constipation. Is the back half floating a bit more than the front?
Shes had a few big poops since Ive gotten her. None after that feeding yet but she doesnt seem to be floating from her belly or anything. She became more active this afternoon and accepted food, so Im hoping shes fine!

Is it possible to overfeed an axolotl at this age? Im having trouble knowing how much to give her and she always seems to accept more and more bloodworms.

Old 12th August 2018   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and information

I wouldn't worry about over feeding, especially young ones. Unless the body is significantly bigger than the head. Keep feeding until she refuses food, I think at a young age you can feed them multiple times a day as well. My girl will eat 2 big night crawlers (not even cut up) and still be keen for more food

Old 13th August 2018   #5
Alicialotl

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayleyy View Post
I wouldn't worry about over feeding, especially young ones. Unless the body is significantly bigger than the head. Keep feeding until she refuses food, I think at a young age you can feed them multiple times a day as well. My girl will eat 2 big night crawlers (not even cut up) and still be keen for more food
Thanks for the info! It makes me feel more at ease. And shes acting her usual self again!