Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

OR Press: Letter: Take care when handling toxic, dangerous rough-skinned newts

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
GAZETTE-TIMES (Corvallis, Oregon) 24 June 09 Letter: Take care when handling toxic, dangerous rough-skinned newts

(The Monday Gazette-Times) has a front-page picture of a young girl holding a rough-skinned newt. These are the most common salamanders in the Northwest. I see them frequently in
McDonald Forest.

People should be aware that the skin secretions of this salamander contain a potent toxin (tetrodotoxin) as protection from predators. Despite the toxin, they are eaten by some snakes. There is reportedly enough poison in one newt to kill 17 humans.

It is unlikely that people will eat the newts but there are horror stories like the time a newt crawled into a coffee pot of campers who didn’t notice and two died the next morning after breakfast. The newts deserve to be treated carefully.
Bob Custer
Corvallis

Editor’s note: Bob Custer is right. The rough-skinned newt’s skin secretions could pose an irritation, and that it is poisonous if eaten. However, no newt experts could confirm the veracity of the story about the newt in the coffee pot. However, an online search did turn up a reference to an old tale about loggers in coastal Oregon being found dead, and those who found them seeing a boiled newt in their coffee pot. So if it’s an urban legend, it’s a persistent one ,with different versions (or different victims?).
http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2009/06/25/news/opinion/5edi06_custerletter062409.txt

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1