Best Aquarium/Vivarium Plant Identifying Site!

Critter Mom

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have stumbled upon the BEST plant identifier for aquarium/vivarium plants. It identifies which ones can be in aquariums and which ones are NOT true aquatics (but are often marketed as such).

Just go to http://www.plantgeek.net and I think you will find most of the answers to your questions there. I did! :happy: You can find what you are looking for, even if you don't know the name of it very easily on their site, and it is very informative.

Many of the plants sold at PetSmart or Petco in the tubes (and sometimes in the aquariums) are NOT suitable for aquarium set ups, as they are really bog plants masquarading as aquarium plants, and you will find out the real aquarium plants here...and which you can use for vivariums/terrariums.

It even has a complete section about algae!

Have fun!
Let me know if you have questions.
Critter Mom

Last edited:
Plantgeek has a pretty good database. I don't like plantgeeks forums though....My #1 plant site is plantedtank.net (database is about a C- but the info on the forums make up for the poor database), followed by aquaticplantcentral.com (relatively new plant database which I haven't played with much, forums are decent), and then the barrreport.com(for the super aquarium plant geek).

I am in the process of trying to locate a database that not only will sort by light level but temperature as well. Anyone know if there is out there let me know.

Wow! Thanks for all the information! I had no idea that all those websites existed. Now I can have some real fun! I enjoy web surfing so I shall enjoy this information. I want to give my pets the most realistic looking and most natural habitat possible.:D

That is a really good idea to have the plants categorized by light and temperature requirements. I wonder why more people have not thought about that? I am surprised that more sites have not done it by now.:shocked:

Please let me know if you find out of any, and I will do the same.:happy:

While I have never purchased from them, here is another site I use often for aquatic gardening information. Their "data base" has quite a bit of information in a detailed format, including lighting levels.

Aquariumplants.com

PM if you need info on purchasing plants from Aquariumplants.com

Best bet to buy plants is to post a WTB on plantedtank.net, or APC. Best bang for the buck! Plus you are help other fellow hobbyists...

While I have never purchased from them, here is another site I use often for aquatic gardening information. Their "data base" has quite a bit of information in a detailed format, including lighting levels.

Aquariumplants.com

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back