Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank Concerns

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Thanks. There's not much I can do to turn down the bubbler. Should I poke some holes in the tubing? Man, I don't know what I'd do with eggs. I'd probably have to leave most to be eaten. XD

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can get little plastic valves that restrict the air flow from the pet store for a few cents, they fit into the air line so you can turn it up or down as required ;)

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Some comparison pictures. I got a valve, as well as some suction cups to hold the tubing to the wall. I planted some more elodea and moved the java moss a bit, and I got a few clippings from my biology teacher's aquarium. I didn't bother with sanitizing them beyond rinsing, and was wondering if anyone could identify them. They're in the second photo, and grow vertically.

pH 7.4
Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 10-20 ppm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 467

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like some kind of Rotala I think? if you post a 'whats this plant' thread in the vivarium plant section someone will tell you for sure pretty quick!
The tank is looking better now the plants are filling out a bit isn't it! :)

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Just bought four ghost shrimp. They're feeders and there are a few red mite-like spots on them. Should they be quarantined? Sorry about the bad picture quality.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 216

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Just bought four ghost shrimp. They're feeders and there are a few red mite-like spots on them. Should they be quarantined? Sorry about the bad picture quality.

Im pretty sure you have to quarantine anything like feeders and other newts before adding them

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Better picture. It looks more like blood or something, as opposed to a parasite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 221
  • RSCN8742.JPG
    RSCN8742.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Down to just one shrimp. They're vicious little buggers. Also, I got another light (18 inch 5000K daylight bulb) because some plants were dying. Hopefully they'll live.

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Well, the pH in the shrimp tank got too high and the last shrimp made a leap of faith. RIP. I've taken out the amazon chain swords, but the other plants seem healthy. Char's started hunting on his own and Griffin still hasn't left the island. (The elodea is starting to encircle the cork bark, so I'm hoping she'll enter the water soon.)
I'm considering getting a bamboo shrimp, and was wondering if a small sponge filter would be okay, seeing as they need a current to feed. (Or would the airstone provide a strong enough current?)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Bamboo shrimp like a fair bit of water movement, my friend has some and they are always sitting in the return flow from the filter. I have Japonica and cherry shrimp with my newts and they seem fine with still water, I could never see the appeal of keeping shrimp but now I have them I think they're great! :)

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Here's an update picture. Both newts are doing well, and Griffin's hinting that she might become aquatic again soon. I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion on duckweed. I've noticed a few little clusters of it pop up and like the way it looks. Opinions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 230

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's pros and cons to duckweed, on one hand it sucks up nitrate like there's no tomorrow, but it can be difficult to eradicate once it gets hold. I would recommend getting some larger floating plants like Water lettuce, it dos the same job as duckweed but is easier to keep under control.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!