Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: More newts!

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Who says Taricha choose to eat small foods?:

Earlier today, I tried feeding them terrestrial this time for the female, and none of them ate. Dumped the nightcrawler bits, and lost my worm cutting knife, so I just put the 2-3 inch worm in, and male focused in on it, and attacked it. Went in, bit, tore off a chunk, retreatd, and repeated. Also, female didn't eat this time, should I be worried?

Last edited:

Doomus

Reaction score
No I wouldent worry she could still be abit stressed about the move and new environment and you said you were pretty sure she ate a few days ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sde

Reaction score
Why are you taking them out of their setup to feed? That doesn't usually yield good results. I would suggest feeding them in their enclosure, it minimizes stress. That may be why the female didn't eat.
Have you added woodlice to their enclosure yet?
Also, the male's skin looks as if it is becoming more adept to being aquatic, is he spending most his time in the water bowl?

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
He is, and I move them out so I can monitor them. I have two real hides, but they love to stay underneath the moss. Male loves the water, female is still terrestrial.

sde

Reaction score
In my opinion you would be better off leaving them in their own enclosure and have a feeding dish of some sort. And adding woodlice will help as well ;)
Adding bark and stacking it would be a good idea, that way there is a humidity gradient allowing them to choose what is most comfortable.

If you have a spare tank i would recommend setting up an aquatic tank and get it started on cycling for when they go aquatic. Make sure it has plenty of land areas, though, like a turtle dock and cork floats. They need to have the option to exit the water ( especially the females ).

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Mini crisis averted: Okay, I was going to feed my newts chopped nightcrawlers, and I lifted the moss where they typically hide, and only found the male. Fed him a nightcrawler bit, and went t find the female. Didn't. Searched high and low, inside and outside, looked in the soil incase somehow she burrowed, and when I couldn't find any signs of her, I had a mini heart attack, and searched the entire shed for any signs. Went back to one of the hides she never uses, and what do I see when I lift it? A orange and brown tail, and I found her! Needless to say, we all have had this moment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!