Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

PH levels moving around

rosebloom63

Reaction score
I thought I had this together, but clearly I have a lot more to learn! Afish is back to his hungry active self, but the pH in how tank keys swinging around. Like it ran the full range from 6 to 8 in under 3 days and I don't know why!!! I did a full water change and took the rocks out of his tank. I have also been keeping a log for the past week or so. All his tests have come back at a steady 7.6 until last night when it was between 7.6 and 7.4 and then I rested about an hour ago and it's at 6. All the other levels are normal (0 ppm for nitrates and nitrite) except for ammonia which is at .25 before I dosed the tank with ammo lock. The ammonia has gone up before without the pH changing at all, so I don't know what's causing it! Does anyone know what's happening and how I fix it? Also any tips on keeping ammonia down would be helpful. There's no food or leftover poop that I've seen, to raise it.

CaptainK1088

Reaction score
For ammonia, I would just do some consistent water changes for a few days. When I have an ammonia spike, I usually do a 50% my first day as well as adding dechlorinator and conditioner. The next day I’ll do a little less of a water change, then the next day a little less, until I feel my ammonia levels are under control. Also, be sure to look around caudata.org forums for similar experiences.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ma-mexicanum/105469-ammonia-levels-water.html

Also, here is a website that lists city’s in the United States that use chloramine. https://www.dudegrows.com/watercheck/
From what I have gathered, chloramine is somehow a combination of chlorine and ammonia that they for some reason put in some city’s water supply, I don’t have a 100% understanding of it myself. If that is the case for your city water, you’ll probably need to purchase products to put into your axolotls water to help balance. I hear of a product called “Prime” quite often in these forums, though I have no personal experience with it .

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1