Setup questions

Crazyann

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it better to us job filter or inside sponge filter? And do I need t use air stonebubbler?

I have a hang on back filter currently made for 10 gallon tank. I was going to use it to keep from having to buy new filter. I was going to use media or sponge to break up flow. will this be okay?

What are you planning to keep?

I think either will work depending on what you're keeping and how you manage flow. I have three alpine newts in a 20 long, and used an Eheim 2217 canister filter. The flow would've been too strong had I not diffused the output across a large piece of driftwood sticking out of the water. I use a sponge filter now for unrelated reasons.

A HOB can be strong for small tanks. I used an Aquaclear for my betta's 10 gallon and it was way too strong. I use a sponge filter now.

Good luck!

As long as you thoroughly place the sponge over the HOB waterfall and break up most of the current, your idea should work well! :D

Here's a good clip on how to reduce the output flow for a HOB filter. It's economical and shouldn't cost you anything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W4OTWswHCE

Notice that a sponge, held by elastic band, is also placed around the input valve to reduce suction from that body of water. Again, cost effective and shouldn't cost you a dollar.

You can use air stones for axolotls but just keep in mind that the external gills may reduce in size over time due to an increase in dissolved oxygen.

i use 2 canisters and a powerhead sponge filter. 30 long, 4 adult breeders. 5 years old and going.

Attachments

• image1.PNG
    image1.PNG
    704.3 KB · Views: 188
Thank you for all your replies :happy:.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back