Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Could a bioload be too low?

Kochebi

Reaction score
I've been looking around trying to find answers on this topic and I have found some advice, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any opinions on this matter. My current tank set up is one adult axolotl living on her own in a 55 gallon tank with a filter meant for a 75 gallon tank. This tank used to house two adult males, but they recently passed away due to a sudden, virulent disease... So the queen now commands this kingdom. I haven't had any problems with the cycle but I'm wondering if this could possibly be harmful in the long run due to a bioload that is just too small? There's never really any spare food in her tank, and I don't plan on getting her tank mates (she snaps at literally everything. Fingers. Plants. Water current. Shadows.) so there's never excess waste buildup. Any input is appreciated!

I'm also looking for suggestions on decor to add layers to her tank. It's a tall 55 and I want to add things to give her the ability to explore more of the water column and laze about in different areas.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1