Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Desmognathus brimleyorum....

E

ed

I was wondering if Desmognathus brimleyorum does better in a more aquatic habitat? This seems to be the case from what little I have read, but there is such a scarcity of info on the net about this particular dusky sal.

N

nimbus2

Heya Ed,

They are pretty aquatic. I've had the chance to see them in the wild a few times as well as keep them. Smaller ones are often under rocks in the middle of the streams, larger ones tend to be under rocks on the sides of the stream rather that really in the water. I kept them in about 4 inches of water with a good current and lots or rock rubble for them to crawl around on.

E

ed

So, essentially, they prefer an environment similiar to say,a paramesotriton's. Semi-stream type, with rocks to break up the flow a little, and places to leave the water.

N

nimbus2

The natural creeks where I've found brimleyorum were no more than 1-3 inches deep with very fast-flowing water, perhaps 1-1.5 feet across, and a very sharp incline. Very small stuff. I think a Paramesotriton-like setup will be too a little too still for them. They'd need some really agitated water because they asphyxiate really easily. One or two of those big airstones work nice. The juveniles seem most aquatic, the adults seem to like the stream/bank interface zone though they'll still prowl the deeper water occasionally.

Good luck with them Ed, they're a really neat species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!