The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
David339

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: David339 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Notophthalmus viridescens behavior

I have 3 in red eft stage. A 2 inch ish one and two little tiny 1 inchers. These are my first newts and salamanders. I noticed the one of the little ones on the other little ones back. Is this some kind of dominance thing? I haven't noticed any of them be aggressive in any way but they are mostly active while I sleep. I've found one of the little ones hiding under the same leaf as the big one. They all seem to get along and they were both atop a fern while piggy back riding. They were stationary and neither was doing anything to the other.

David339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Thomas F

Nationality:
Rep: Thomas F has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Notophthalmus viridescens behavior

This could happen from time to time but it is harmless
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Notoph_all3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	54265  

Thomas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
David339

Nationality:
Rep: David339 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Notophthalmus viridescens behavior

Thanks. I just wanted to be sure, if they aren't going to be friends I'd split them to different tanks. If they were acting aggressively what would I look for or is this something I would only need to worry about with adult males?

David339 is offline   Reply With Quote