Cannibalistic axolotl

Yeah being a fall breeder Opacum gets a jump everyone in a vernal pool. If anything opacum are fattening up on A. maculatum larvae. Can't forget the snapping turtle that somehow always end up there getting fat on all the salamander larvae.

An none of the larva stand a chance when the A.jeffersonianum hatch!!! Talk about big heads!!!

In what way is it different? I also rear guppies ,cherry shrimp,brine shrimp and daphnia as food, would you object to that? i also collect earthworms to feed to my axolotls and frogs. I provide a diet of live food to my pets in addition to a small amount of pellet food. My amphibians are predators and they get a varied diet, which i hope provides them a balanced source of nutrition. If you dont like feeding animals to other animals you might like to get a tortoise or a rabbit. You could make the argument that axolotls can survive on pellets and that live food is unnecessary and cruel but those pellets are made from animal protein(as far as i am aware).

Thats not what I was trying to say. I hadn't even thought of the massive numbers of extreme extras. I personally was thinking that they could just be re-homed. I have no problem with feeding raised feeders. Animals need to eat and I find live food more appealing and healthy for them. It seems I created quite a stir. One of my main concerns was disease spreading from tank to tank like the point about chytrid. I do see all your points though and understand your reasoning. I myself am raising daphnia,white worms, wax worms, and feed earthworms and grubs. It was just something I personally wouldnt do and I just figured it was a common thought. I guess not :p

If you have one tank has chytrid all your tanks probably have it unless you only use one bucket, one hose, one net, for each tank in your house. And that probably really won't stop it either. Any of your food item cultures could contain chytrid. African Clawed frogs shouldn't even be kept. They are known carriers of the fungus and should never be used as food dead or alive. So cb salamanders you raised at home and feeding the extras to others in your home in my opinon has little more chance of spreading fugus compared to you spreading it yourself. I hope this alittle more of what you were looking for as an answer.

Personally, I have to disagree. I keep 4 ACFs (Soon to have an updated tank {and by soon I mean tomorrow}) I don't think that they shouldn't be kept. They are big eaters and very entertaining. They all clammer on top of each other when I go by the tank in anticipation of a meal. They are great animals. Why do you feel they shouldn't be kept? As long as they aren't released and you are careful not to spread anything from tank to tank, there is no problem. I love them :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back