Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma tigrinum: successful breeding

AmbystoMan

Reaction score
very interesting !

my mavortium start to metamorphose a lot, at 10 cm long,

how many larvae do you have ?

Soe

Reaction score
Just came home after a weeks vacation on Sicily, and was afraid that a week without much food and water change either would make them kill each other or force them to the land face.
I was very happy to see, that even they were much thinner, they were all looking good and healthy. I noticed that they all had some reduced gills, but looking closer, I saw that it was because of biting not going into metamorphosis.
After a huge waterchange, I started feeding them........and continued feeding them..........and had to get more food. They were so hungry that they ate 200g beefheart, 500g earthworms and some hundred coackroaches in one meal.
There are precisely 100 larvae left and the biggest now 17 cm.

Soe

Reaction score
Yesterday I saw that one of the larvae has started to reduce the gills. They will be 4 months old in a week. Strangely enough it is not one of my biggest larvae. It is only 15 cm, and I recon my largest are about 18 cm now.
The water and weather here is cold almost Atum, so they don`t eat and grow as much as before.

tigersalamanderlarve09.jpg

Soe

Reaction score
The last of the larvae are now changing to the land fase, and adult colorations are beginning to show on the salamanders.

tigre03.jpg

Soe

Reaction score
This year I thought the tigrinum wouldn`t breed since Spring came early, and even the adults were placed in the breeding tanks, they waited and waited.
Finally they laid eggs, and the first larvae hatched yesterday. Actually it is not late. It is 2 weeks earlier than last year.
I won`t raise a lot. Just a few for the shows. I have enough to feed on :happy:

Joep

Reaction score
last season i had a big neotenic tiger in my pond-in-greenhouse,she laid many eggs,the pond had 2 copper male axo`s,but also adult morphed tigers,most juveniles are morphed now,except 4 some golden axo`s??i never had any golden??

Joep

Reaction score
last season i was lucky to buy a big neotenic tiger female,she laid many eggs,the possible fathers were copper axo`s,or some tigermales,that climed back in the pond,most offspring has morphed now,except from some goldens,,?axelotle??i dont have any in my pond for many years??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!