Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fyi canadians

P

paris

i found this on an official site :

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/turtlese.shtml

Importation of Amphibians and Reptiles
All Amphibians and Reptiles
(Excluding Turtles and Tortoises)

Amphibians such as salamanders, frogs, toads, newts
Reptiles such as snakes, crocodiles, caiman, iguanas, turtles, tortoises, geckos

The information on this page is current as of 2007-1- 3.

Please be advised that amphibians and reptiles (excluding turtles and tortoises) are no longer regulated under the Health of Animals Regulations* and as a result, no Canadian Food Inspection Agency import permit is required, nor a health certificate and no inspection will normally be done at the border. Imports are permitted from any country, for any use, to any destination in Canada.
* Other than Part XII of the Health of Animals Regulations that regulates the transport of ALL ANIMALS and inspection activities with respect to humane transport may be conducted.

K

kara

i found this when i was inquiring to customs and the food import place...wouldn't you say this is wierd? I mean, it is terrific for me and other pet enthusiasts, but wouldn't regulation of what is being brought in and out of canada be important for all of us? Think of the irresponsible people that will take super advantage of this!! Not to mention releasing non native species in to the habitat, and the endangered specie factor comes in to play too...Why would canada do this?

G

gord

I also find this very interesting and surprising.And I suppose that means we can trade and buy more freely with our U.S. friends. Perhaps some of the members here who breed and sell caudates can enlighten us on whether they will take advantage of this.

GE

R

richard

Will this cause Canada to move from the international place in the species wanted and the trade/sell parts of the forum to be included with the USA portion(because so much more happens in the US than here)? Just a thought.

Rich

S

stefanie

Wow, this is definitely interesting. I see it being a positive thing for educated enthusiasts, but a scary thought crosses my mind...this gives pet stores the freedom to buy/sell/trade freely as well. Or cross the border to capture animals from the wild, and sell it the next day in their home country. I'm still shivering from what I witnessed last week. Let's just say my brother heard an employee refer to a newt as "crispy."

K

karl

Interesting Read! Thanks for the info. Hope nothing bad comes of this.....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1