Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Finally getting around to the pics of my babies!

LippyNix

Reaction score
Tank measures 12" x 30" x 24"; filled to about 14" deep.
Mopani driftwood pieces with hides hollowed out in the sand under them (not that my axies hide much!).
Live plants: marimo moss balls, java fern, java moss, anubias barteri, moneywort (all from Aquatic Arts on Amazon - I'd highly recommend them for plants).
I'm waiting on another load of ghost shrimp as they are good little cleaners and I don't need to worry if they get eaten. They're not dangerous and are cheap enough to not hurt my wallet! :p
Axies were hatched in Dec. 2016 (accidentally - not by me, I found them on a local Facebook sales page), and I'm hoping they are both the same sex. They grew much faster than I expected (was under the impression it would take a year for them to reach 5-6". Obviously, I hadn't found this community yet! :() so I had to put them together before being 100% certain. I think it's looking like 2 females (any opinions?), and the leucistic has had black toes for a couple of months. The albino is still all white on the toes.
{Please ignore the not great photography and dirty glass! :blush: The light looks brighter than it is in these pics, and it doesn't bother them. Even when they are both sitting on the driftwood near the top, they don't react when I turn it on.}

Attachments

• Albie #1 (8-5-17).jpg
    Albie #1 (8-5-17).jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 305
  • 8-5-17 #3.jpg
    8-5-17 #3.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 224
  • Albie #4 (8-5-17).jpg
    Albie #4 (8-5-17).jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Toothless #3 (8-5-17).jpg
    Toothless #3 (8-5-17).jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 227
  • Toothless #4 (8-5-17).jpg
    Toothless #4 (8-5-17).jpg
    257 KB · Views: 224
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1