Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Tank and New Axolotl Owner-- NEED HELP!

SJS

Reaction score
Our little Axie is going to arrive TONIGHT! We are excited but didnt have time to properly cycle tank. We've only had up for 2 nights. We dosed with Prime the first day, the 2nd day we dosed with API Quick Start, and then dosed it again with the Quick Start this morning (per someone at pet store). The ammonia levels are around 1 now with 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. I've never had an aquarium before so this is all new to me! Do we need to keep Axie in a separate tub (just treated with prime) and do 100% water changes in the tub until the tank cycles... or is it ok to put her in the tank? We want to do what is best... (knowing now that obviously i should've bought a tank and cycled it weeks ago)... but this is my current situation! What should i do?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Like you said I would keep your axie in a separate tub with water changes while it cycles. It is recommended to cycle for at least a month. I am currently cycling a new tank with feeder fish and have my boy in a temp tank in the meantime (you can also cycle without fish). In the temporary tub you will need to do 100% water changes daily with dechlorinated water

If you know someone with an aquarium and they can spare a decoration or two you can put that in your aquarium as they carry beneficial bacteria (as long as the tank they are from has no issues- you don't want to introduce anything nasty). If you plan on having live plants in your tank add them now, they help absorb nitrates :)

SJS

Reaction score
Thank you... will continue to do that. Have you used Tetra Safe Start or any like products? this i all BRAND NEW to me and i am overwhelmed with all the information out there? We use prime for the dechlorinator, and API quick start ... but so far, all i have noticed are ammonia levels around 1ppm. Should i use the Tetra safe start instead to put the good bacteria in?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I have the blue planet brand of beneficial bacteria in a bottle, which is basically the same thing as the tetra safe start. I am adding it to my cycling tank, BUT it is possible these products are just money grabbers lol. Because they come in a bottle and have live bacteria in them they may not have every bacteria you need and who knows how long it was on the shelf.
So, it could be doing nothing, it could be doing something haha
That being said if you already have the product it wont hurt to try it. I added an amount to the tank to start, then a smaller amount every week (according to instructions). Keep up with testing the water to monitor levels, and about a 20-25% water change every 2 days or so. When your ammonia, nitrite or nitrates spike do a larger water change.
You could introduce a live plant (maybe a moss ball or anubis) because that should introduce some bacteria from the store you buy it from.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!