Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Impaction, maybe?

wolfheart2112

Reaction score
Hi all! So I noticed today that Axel's stomach seems to have gotten quite large , and inside it looks slightly black? About 5 or so days ago I purchased some aquarium sand that was very fine,and the colour is black. It created bubbles in the sand and he must've thought they were food because I believed he swallowed some. The sand is from Stoney River if anyone was wondering. His belly was black then too but after 2 days it was back to hia normal green/pink belly and the sand had settled too. However, his stomach is all black again, this time Axel has some stringy poop hanging off him. It's white and just hanging off him. I did however go ahead and feed him and he was his normal, gorgeful self. Just wondering what I should do.

P.S, also bought new aquarium sand from the store today to go in my 30gallon tank. It is made by Caribsea but called SuperNaturals. It is also black and very fine. I'll post some pictures of Axel and the sand bag.

wolfheart2112

Reaction score
Here are the pictures of Axel and the bag of sand. Just let me know :(

Attachments

• IMG1664.jpg
    IMG1664.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG1669.jpg
    IMG1669.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG1671.jpg
    IMG1671.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG1673.jpg
    IMG1673.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG1674.jpg
    IMG1674.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 219

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
The fact he only looks swollen on the one side suggests to me that he is slightly impacted. From the pictures the sand looks more like very fine gravel to me (often labeled as sand or "gravel sand", in my experience) but I can only go by what the pictures show! If you feel this is the case it may be best to switch him to silica sand. If it is in fact your standard sand all should be fine. All axolotls will swallow something they're not supposed to at some point, be it a mouthful of sand or something else. I should think he will be able to pass it on this occasion but a short time in the fridge can ease passing and/or vomiting if he's having trouble getting it out on his own.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Axel is a very gorgeous axolotl :D I would maybe move him into a bare bottomed tank/ container for a few days and see what he passes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1