Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Leaves going see through

C

cheryl

all my plant leaves (elodea and banana lilly) are going see-through. is there a way of knowing whats causing this?

S

skylar

can be caused by either too much light, or too little. how long do you keep it on for and how many watts per gallon? i keep mine on for 12 hours and have 2.2 WpG and my banana lillies are doing fine

S

sharn

lack of light is what causes that i think
happy.gif
i have some swords in my tropical tank that were going see through, got a new bulb and they went back to normal

C

cheryl

rats. I was hoping to not have to get a light. i thought axies didnt like them? The tank is next to a window, and a small corner gets sunlight for an hour or two in the morning but no sun directly hits the plants. It is what i would describe as high natural light.

S

skylar

you can get a light that sits on top for about $80 for a 2' tank (double bulb), probably cheaper second hand. Its true axies don't like light, however mine were a bit skittish for about a week and now they rarely hide and are always in the open, sitting in the vallis
happy.gif

B

beech

I had the same problem with Ziggy too - I found that a small halogen bulb aimed at the plant does the trick. That way, the plant is spread out in front of the light source, and the axie is happily in the dark
happy.gif

Zigs tank is nearly pitch lol - but he'll be moving to a more suitable place next week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1