Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

cynops ensicauda feeding question

merk199

Reaction score
If you feed your cynops every day is there a chance they will become lazy hunters? I know with dendros if you feed every day they will become lazy and eventually not eat the amount of food needed. Whereas if you feed them three times a week you will more likely have a healthier weight specimen. Just want to make sure that my six day a week feeding of my juvies I am not promoting the laziness to eating. I guess in the wild they would not have the abundance of food so I am thinking I should feed every other day...?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Six days a week is probably a bit much for juveniles. I feed my juvenile C. e. popei 3-4 times a week and that still is porbably too much. The only thing I feed that many times in a week are my various larvae and thats only if I am having a good week and feel up to it.

merk199

Reaction score
Thanks. I will reduce the feedings. Now I am going to need to get something else that will eat the extra fruit flies, springtails, and blackworms....Not sure if that is a good thing....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1