Cynops ensicauda ensicauda eggs

H

henk

Since some weeks the females are starting to set off eggs one at a time and I feel like a cherry picker getting them out (as much as I can)

75597.jpg

75598.jpg

And here's one of the active males
75599.jpg

Nice pictures, Henk.

After a few month's respite, my C. ensicauda ensicauda tank is again filling with larvae. I haven't been going in and actively removing eggs, as it's quite a chore. But I do try to remove larvae to a separate tank once they reach a respectable size. Otherwise, I later end up finding skinny morphs starving in the land area of the tank where there are awkward-to-check hiding places.

I wish somebody would do an academic study on Cynops adult predation on larvae. It doesn't seem to be very high. I'm tempted to add heaters to my tanks to lower their urge to breed as my hands are really full now carrying for last year's crop. Well, if I could get my P. laoensis to breed, I'd <u>make</u> time for them
biggrin.gif

Well Tim , I kind of like these guys too. Have never kept this subspecies. Now I think I may actually try to get my hands on some green popeis again too (just to make the loaensis jealous !). Indeed it seems that larvae predation is pretty low, but eggs on the contrary ???

Currently, I'm raising all my C. e. popei in the tank with the adults - I see no sign of significant predation of eggs or larvae. I think that egg predation is a learned skill - once a particular animal learns it, he/she will eat them with every chance they get. But many adults remain "naive" to this tasty treat, and leave them alone.

I'm still waiting for my nominate C.e.e. to produce offspring. Some day....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back