Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton Yangi 2016

mr cyclone

Reaction score
My second attempt at breeding ,hopefully as successful as last year.
These Raptors hunt in packs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 890

mr cyclone

Reaction score
The males and females during breeding season seem to Slough their skin into a brighter semi aquatic skin.
They become remarkably bolder during these months ,Normally they are extremely reclusive but not as reclusive as the black species such as Asperrimus types (Wenxi/lizenchanghi etc)
I keep juvenile Yangi and juveniles of Kweichowensis and Kweichowensis is notably bolder even as juvenile and are better eaters.
I'm hoping my Yangi females are Gravid now ,As always frustrating waiting for thins to happen I have been minipulating perametres as much as possible

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 719

mr cyclone

Reaction score
All the females have volcano shaped cloaca but alas none have been in the water since the 23/6/" . I'm hopeing for a nice hot day and thunderstorm the weather here is humid but just not quite there I will drop their temps for a few days and rain them and crank the temps back up the next hot day. Ummi told me to get them in the garden and his bred at 30C but Scottish summer never gets that hot 24C max for about 2 days. Last year in July it rained every day :(

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Well now all the females are in condition and entering the water looking for a mate, It seems their behaviour is spend most of the day on the cork and miss and take a dip into the water once a day and come back out I believe this is to look for a mate.
My females all are Gravid with volcanic cloacas. The male is still a recluse and shows no sign of entering the water. So I believe my efforts are wasted this year,My male seems to have a preference for garden slugs above all else.
The females as you can imagine will eat any moving prey an a strong preference for lobworm .
I have a Taliangensis male I put in with them and he started tail fanning and circling one of the females, I removed him but was interesting to watch him try to amplexus her before hand.
I will have to take my male yangi and feed him and house him separate all year and hopefully introduce him to the females next year when he starts to gain a bit of confidence

mr cyclone

Reaction score
No breeding this year as I lost the only Male. My 2015 offspring are starting to show characteristics of sex and believe the largest to be male. I can only hope this is true for future breedings.
A behaviour I have noticed during breeding season I would like to mention is that the Females don't spend long periods in the water, The last two years I've seen them enter the water every couple of days for very short periods of time and actively Scout the water for a mate then after an hour or so they leave the water again, And don't return for another few days.
After the spawning in June 2015, No animals entered the water more than once a week if it all. The animals behaviour in my experience is quite hydraphobic. They will enter the water,Mate leave the water, and lay the eggs at the waters edge.
outside the breeding season I have them on kitchenpaper that is wet and lots of stacks of cork bark and some dry moss at one side and some boiled dry oak leaves.At the time of cooling I had them in an aquarium in my shed with no water dish. only 8 inches of soil lots of polystyrtene hides made from inserts and expanding foam then covered with leaves and soil and coir and loads of moss. The animals had to be digged out from the substrate and where up to three inches beneath the surface. I periodically made sure one corner of the tank was damp and slightly misted if it looked too dry.
Temperature Exposure was as low as 11C-0C
In early May I brought the animals back indoors and put them in Aquaterrarium at 18C Rising to 26C and had them as high as 30C although i would reccomend
20-26C For safety.
These animals are particularly Shy and only become bold and brave at warm temperatures such as 22-24C When the animals actively beg for food .

mr cyclone

Reaction score
I Reccomend housing the Males and Females seperately. I have spoken with friends and have shared experiences that Males tend to be smaller ,Weak and often bullied or oppressed by the Females and noted that when feeding Males would be nudged by a female when going to feed and this would put him off completely. And also that the Male Animals will go off their food completely for long periods of time and sometimes will only eat under total darkness or under blue light,(Many a night i sat with a few beers in darkness with a worm on the end of tweezers)
The secret to raising a successful colony I believe is to seperate the sexes and grow large robust Alpha males.
Raising juveniles is another story

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Just out the shed and into the house looking pretty chubby, the house will be 15-22C most if winter so they can fatten up.
Still need a male

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 585
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!